Friday, August 13, 2010



While I was in New York City, I was able to catch up with some old school mates for a great dinner. After dinner we went for a brief walk and came across an old landmark name that gave me goosebumps. The Cotton Club was established in 1920, up on 142nd Street in Harlem, by the heavy weight boxer Jack Johnson but in 1923 it was sold to a gangster and bootlegger named Owney Madden who actually lived in Sing Sing prison until 1933 and ran the whole club from there.

The Cotton Club survived prohibition even with a closure during 1925 for supplying alcohol. There were many famous people who gave their heart and sole in performance to the Cotton Club including Duke Ellington and the Cotton Club band, Nat King Cole, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and sooo many more.

In 1936 the Cotton Club closed down temporarily after race riots in Harlem and reopened not long after down on 48th St and Broadway. It closed for good in 1940 due to high rents and federal investigations into night club owner tax evasions. A new club with the same name opened in 1978 on 125th Street in Harlem. This is where I came across this amazing building with it's 1920's art deco style, while walking with my friends.

Two very cool dudes were hanging outside by a side door that was open when we walked past (as I was snapping away with my camera of course) They said hi and started talking to my friend and she was explaining that I was from Australia and a photographer so they said 'well, the club's closed but would we like a look inside and take some photos'. What a thrilling prospect this was. To be in this amazing iconic building where they were trying to preserve such a musically gifted part of history (even though it wasn't the original bulding) was such a special feeling . The guys were lovely to chat with and one reckoned he might even try to make it over to Melbourne one day where upon I tried (but probably failed) to convince him that Sydney was a much better place to visit (sorry all Melbournians but got to keep the competitiveness going some how, lol). There upon we swapped business cards and I will forever hold this as a very cool experience.

These photos sadly don't do the place justice as I had no tripod with me but it gives one the atmospher of such a magical spot. I've also included a cool old Duke Ellington tune I found on you tube. It's been really fun learning more about this cool and funky place and I hope you enjoy my findings as much as I've enjoyed the discovery.


1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I've heard the name of the club many times, but didn't know all of the history. A great story - music lovers should be thankful for it :)

    ReplyDelete